There are numerous young urologists around the world who have not been exposed to the advances in Endourology and Minimally Invasive Surgery. Countries without advanced urologic training could benefit from an observership.
Urologists from countries with well-developed training systems will also benefit from exposure to recent urologic advances, and to the organization of urology in other countries. It would also result in a mutually beneficial exchange of ideas and building relationships in the world of Endourology.
This scholarship will increase the impact of the Endourological Society among urologists worldwide. It will be an added benefit for the Society’s membership.
As such, two types of observerships are offered:
- Academic Observership, where the most qualified applicants from academic centers will be selected
- Clinical Observership, by urologists working in underserved locations/countries, where the practice of urology is not well developed
There will be two academic and two clinical scholarships, each year.
Each scholarship will be valued at $5000: $1500 for travel and $3500 for expenses for 30 days.
Scholarships will be offered for Endourological Society members, to visit international centers for a month. 15 days each at two centers would also be acceptable. The selected urologist can only visit centers with Endourological Society recognized fellowships. This requirement will add value and recognition for fellowships that are recognized by the Society. Urologists can focus on their area of expertise, provided it is related to minimally invasive urology. The scholar must travel to centers in a continent that is different from his/her home continent.
The selected urologist must submit a report to the Society detailing his/her experience, benefits, and suggestions for improvement of the program if any. $2500 will be paid to each selected urologist after selection. The remaining funds will be paid after satisfactory completion of the observership and receipt of the completion report from the urologist and the host fellowship director.
- Within 10 years of completion of urologic training
- Endourological Society membership
- Involved with training of residents
- Research in Endourology
- Service to regional, national and international urologic societies
- Busy clinical practice
- Service to underserved areas/population
- Service to regional, national and international urologic societies or community service
Urologists from countries classified by the World Bank as low income and lower middle-income economies will be preferred.
The scholarships will be announced by email to all Society members and via the website. Each member of the fellowship committee will review all applications. The Executive Director will receive the scores and the top 4 candidates in each category will be chosen based on the total score.
The Executive Committee will select 2 urologists each for the clinical and academic categories.
The deadline to submit your application is January 15th, 2019 and should include the following documentation:
- 500-word personal statement on the candidate’s qualifications and how he/she will utilize the experience upon return to his/her home country.
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Download and complete Application form
Completed applications should be emailed to Michele Paoli in the Endourology Society office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recipient(s) will be notified of the award within 3 months of submitting their application.
Chandru Sundaram, M.D.
Chair, Fellowship Committee